This past week I decided to use my bottom whorl spindle to spin up a couple of mini-batts I purchased from Woolie Bullie out of Kansas, purchased through Etsy. The first batt started out looking like this:
These are two views of the same batt. I split this batt into two halves and spun two singles. I wound the singles onto (clean) chopsticks and plied them from there. The plied yarn on the spindle looked like this:
Then I used my Niddy Noddy to measure the yarn:
This first 1/4 oz batt gave me 17 yards, all of the design elements that caused this to be less than a ‘perfect spin’ are my own and I love them! I then cast on 20 stitches and using a stockette stitch on US9 needles I started knitting:
This is after 17 yards, well I love it and so I spun up the second batt:
Which yielded about 16 yards. I have that knit up but could not stop there! I am currently waiting with baited breath for my next Batt from WoolieBullie. So exciting, I hope that there will be enough to make a very nice scarf or cowl. I believe that when I finish knitting and wash the product, gently with Dawn, the finished knitted fabric will full out a bit and cause the absolute end product to look a bit different from this beginning.
For the WoolieBullie Dingbats, I highly recommend them. My first batt spun very quickly and easily, while it looked like there was a lot of white the end product was very colorful. There seemed to be a bit of a sticky substance on my second batt, but I believe that this is the result of having a few beautiful curly locks in the fiber and just surprised me instead of detracting from my spinning experience (obvious since I am getting another batt!).