Search

A Little More Abstract

Crafting For Those Dedicated to Experimentation

Month

April 2017

I’m Such a Card

I, very happily, carded a couple of batts from the fiber I dyed.  I have named the Pink Batt ‘Stormy day in a rose garden’ while the other batt is ‘Sunrise’.  Both batts are entirely compromised of wool.  Stormy Day was carded once while Sunrise was carded twice.  I love the look of each batt.  I am planning on spinning the batts and wet felting small portions of each.  I will show off my progress as they are completed.

Happy Crafting

Advertisements

Easter Egg Dyeing

I had an absolute blast with my leftover Easter Egg Dye!  Since there was so much color left over in the cups I decided to use that water to dye some fiber.  My black turned out phenomenal and the others gave me such beautiful marbled effects.  I am very pleased with how everything turned out.  The eggs turned out well too, you can see the black one next to its corresponding fiber.  I had such a blast, Happy Easter!

Dyeing with Depth

I am having so much fun with dying techniques!  These are my first  4 attempts at dyeing with depth, using more than one color before putting in my main color so that the main color stands out more than it would have.  The first two braids, that I think of as Crows and Ravens are red & blue with black as the main color.  The reds and blues struck the fiber more than I thought they would leaving little room for the black to attach, I think I will have to use less of the first two and perhaps a professional black if I want to try this again.  The yellow is a light yellow overdyed with a stronger golden yellow.  I like the effect, it gives the yellows some depth without muddying things up too much.  The reds were an interesting experiment, between my cake frosting dyes, and my regular dyes I had about 3-4 shades of red/pink.  So I used all of them, the end result was supposed to be a strong red with pink undertones/depth.  Things didn’t seem to be working too well until I remembered a piece of advice where they said to use a contrasting color to emphasize the main color, so with a hope and a prayer I put in a drop of blue.  Much to my shock the red started to pop and the overall effect is that the colors deepened quite a bit.

I am very happy with these results and look forward to my next dyeing day!

Happy Crafting!

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑